“Seven Deadly Sins of Speaking”
He who guards his mouth preserves his life,
but he who opens wide his lips shall have destruction.
Julian Treasure is a well-known international speaker on sound and communication skills. Among many other topics, he shares the Seven Deadly Sins of Speaking:
- Gossip: Most gossip is misleading or worse. Don’t participate.
- Judging: Judging closes doors. When Lincoln disliked a person, he chose to get to know him better. This habit proved to be more profitable.
- Negativity: The world is looking for solutions, not people who simply curse the darkness. Negativity is a fixed mindset. It almost takes a miracle to heal.
- Complaining: Cowards complain because they are always speaking away from the problem. They believe the problem is always out there somewhere and never within their own abilities to make a difference.
- Excuses: Owning your failures and growing from them draws people to you. Making excuses causes people to turn their backs on you.
- Exaggeration: There is a big difference between hyperbole and exaggeration. Hyperbole is obvious to the listener adding color or humor. Exaggeration is lying.
- Dogmatism: The smartest guy in the room is not admired. The wise person, no matter how convinced they are on a particular subject, will always blend sincere humility within her comments.
Committing any of these sins depreciates your value as a reliable source of information, character, and contributor. Take an honest inventory of these and begin making changes today!
If this Monday Moment was helpful, 👉 sign up here to receive Monday Moments email every week and get a FREE Leadership Kit.
Together, we can invest in great leaders. You can make a difference! 💙
🎙️ You can become our next podcast guest, send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
🎤 Need a keynote speaker for your next team meeting, community gathering, or training session? Book Jim now for in-person or virtual speaking engagements. 📧 Email us at email@example.com
📘 Strengthen the Cornerstones of your Spiritual Foundation by understanding The 4 Essentials of Christian Living. Get your copy today
👕 Spread encouragement and support with our Lead Today Hebrews 3:13 shirt. Order yours now
👍 Follow us on Social Media